This Sor recording includes several of my own personal favorites as well as a few little-known works that perhaps deserve more attention. In my opinion, Sor’s genius comes through most clearly in his short pieces, many of them perfect little gems filled with elegance, balance, refinement, and above all, beauty. His style, though deeply rooted in the Viennese School of Mozart, Haydn, and Beethoven, is also imbued, at least at times, with distinct Spanish flavors. (Manuel Barrueco)
Legendary guitarist Manuel Barrueco and his protégés, the Beijing Guitar Duo offer music, ranging from the baroque to the twenty-first century, demonstrating the guitar’s unique ability to capture the many voices and moods of China and the Western World, in a stunning showcase of artistry and virtuosity.
Their performance is exquisite–consistently joyous yet subtle, technically flawless, beautiful.
“MEDEA – Spanish guitar music by Albéniz, Granados and Manolo Sanlúcar” features Manuel Barrueco performing solo Spanish guitar music by Albéniz and Granados, and the evocative “Medea” by flamenco composer Manolo Sanlúcar, one of the key figures in the evolution of the flamenco guitar. Medea is performed with the Tenerife Symphony Orchestra and Spain’s most prominent conductor, Víctor Pablo Pérez.
Cello Suite No. 1 in D Major, BWV 1007 by J. S. BACHFive Sonatas by D. SCARLATTISuite VII in D Minor by S. L. WEISSChaconne, from Partita No. 2 in D Minor, BWV 1004 by J. S. BACH
[The Chaconne] has become a profound funeral ode here, and [Barrrueco's] performance has a granitic, inexorable progression, the architecture of a great monument. It is among the most powerful I've ever encountered."
We have come to expect superb performances from Barrueco and in these works we get them. These are performances of dignity and distinction.
2011 Latin GRAMMY nomination as "Best Classical Album"
Virtuoso guitar duos with Manuel Barrueco and Franco Platino.
Music by Ibert, Falla, Albeniz, Granados, Rodrigo, Piazzolla and Assad.
"Virtuosity in abundance on both guitars."
"Guitar at its Best."
"Like four hands on one imaginary gigantic guitar, they played as though they were one man."
LATIN GRAMMY AWARD FOR Inca Dances BY GABRIELA LENA FRANK AS "BEST CLASSICAL CONTEMPORARY COMPOSITION".
Music of Michael Daugherty, Gabriela Lena Frank, Aaron Jay Kernis and Roberto Sierra for guitar and string quartet, with Cuarteto Latinoamericano.
Bay of Pigs (world premiere recording) by Michael Daugherty, Inca Dances (world premiere recording) by Gabriela Lena Frank, Tríptico by Roberto Sierra, 100 Greatest Dance Hits by Aaron Jay Kernis
"The pairing of Manuel Barrueco and Cuarteto Latinoamericano, once again, yields sublime results."
Music of Piazzolla & Guastavino for guitar and string quartet, with Cuarteto Latinoamericano.
Second recording in the Manuel Barrueco Collection
"... stunningly beautiful, a recording that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Piazzolla's 1986 tour de force, Tango: Zero Hour."
"...the most evocative and satisfying interpretation of the tango master's material I've ever heard."
NOMINATED FOR A 2008 GRAMMY AWARD FOR "BEST INSTRUMENTAL SOLOIST PERFORMANCE".
First recording in the Manuel Barrueco Collection
"Everything about this new disc is superb, from the immaculate playing of the performer to the recording quality. A superb disc."
LATIN GRAMMY NOMINATION FOR "BEST CLASSICAL RECORDING".
Concertos by Roberto Sierra, Arvo Pärt and Antonio Vivaldi
"This release is brilliant in both conception and execution."
"Baroque gestures - everything from chugging Vivaldian rhythms and Handelian counterpoint to the kind of orchestrations and balances appropriate to the period - collide with the dissonances, freewheeling meters and angular themes of contemporary, post-tonal style."
Guitar Duets with Al Di Meola, Steve Morse and Andy Summers.
"Barrueco's fluid technique leaves your jaw on the floor... All told, it's six-string heaven."
Anthology of 20th century Cuban music, including music by Lecuona, Brouwer, Fariñas, Ubieta, Angulo and Ardévol.
"Five Stars ***** It's an extraordinary musical achievement."
Songs and Dances from Latin America by Barrios, Ponce, Villa-Lobos, Gnattali, Grenet, Lauro and Piazzolla.
Also includes Piazzolla's L'Histoire du Tango with flutist Emmanuel Pahud, and Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5 with soprano Barbara Hendricks.
"...a superb recording, one to be acquired and treasured."
With Plácido Domingo and the Philharmonia Orchestra
Concierto de Aranjuez, Fantasía para un Gentilhombre,
4 Songs for voice and guitar, and guitar solos.
"Manuel Barrueco's new version [of the Concierto de Aranjuez] is the best."
"The four songs [Plácido Domingo] sings with Barrueco's accompaniment are really gorgeous."
"This is a virtually ideal Rodrigo disc."
3 Violin Sonatas by J. S. Bach, arranged by Manuel Barrueco
"We have come to expect superb performances from Barrueco and in these works we get them. These are performances of dignity and distinction."
Includes Yesterday, Hey Jude, Penny Lane, Eleanor Rigby etc.
Arrangements by Takemitsu, Lubbock, Bayless, Brouwer With the London Symphony Orchestra, Jeremy Lubbock cond. David Tanenbaum, guitar
Compositions by Corea, Jarrett, Simon & Harrison
"...the best-sounding guitar records of any major artist."
Compilation of works from other EMI recordings.
Complete 12 Spanish Dances by Granados and 7 Polular Spanish Songs by Falla, with Ann Monoyios, soprano & Thomas Müller-Pering, guitar.
"... without equal in the Spanish virtuoso repertoire - and now you can hear why. These haunting miniatures have never sounded so alluring on disc."
"... invaluable, a national treasure... Another year for Barrueco and another year's best."
Complete Suite Española by Albéniz and complete solo music for guitar by Turina.
"Manuel Barrueco is one of the best classical guitarist on the planet... Barrueco's readings set new standards for musicianship."
"Another artistic triumph from the great Cuban guitarist."
The King's Singers and Manuel Barrueco, guitar Folk Songs of the British Isles
Complete Partita no 2, BWV 1004 in D minor by Bach, including the famous Chaconne and the Prelude, Fugue and Allegro by Bach. Also includes the Suite in B minor and the Ouverture de la Grotte de Versailles (de Lully) by de Visée.
"This disc, with Barrueco's Albéniz and Villa-Lobos discs, together demonstrate mastery of many different aspects of the guitar; a triptych of excellence that is surely without presedent."
1. Grand Solo, Op. 14 In D Major
2. Piano Sonata In G Major: Allegro
3. Piano Sonata In G Major: Andante
4. Piano Sonata In G Major: Presto
5. Six Airs Choisis De L'Opera 'Die Zauberflote', Op. 19: Marche Religieuse (No. 9 'Marcia', Act 1)
6. Six Airs Choisis De L'Opera 'Die Zauberflote', Op. 19: Fuggite O Voi Bella (Allegretto) (No. 11 Duetto 'Bewahret Euch Nor Weibertucken', Act 1)
7. Six Airs Choisis De L'Opera 'Die Zauberflote', Op. 19: Giu San Ritorno I Genii Amici (Andantino) (No. 16 Terzetto 'Seid Uns Zum Zweiten Mal Willkommen', Act 1)
8. Six Airs Choisis De L'Opera 'Die Zauberflote', Op. 19: O Dolce Armonia (Andante) (No. 8 'Das Klinget So Herrlich', Act 10
9. Six Airs Choisis De L'Opera 'Die Zauberflote', Op. 19: Se Potesse Un Suono ... (Andantino) (No. 8 'Konnte Jeder Brave Mann', Act 1)
10. Six Airs Choisis De L'Opera 'Die Zauberflote', Op. 19: Grand Isi Grand Osiri (Adagio) (No. 18 'O Isis Und Osiris, Welche Wonne!', Act 1)
11. Variations On A Theme By Mozart, Op. 9: Introduction (Andante Largo)
12. Variations On A Theme By Mozart, Op. 9: Thema (Andante Moderato)
13. Variations On A Theme By Mozart, Op. 9: Variation 1
14. Variations On A Theme By Mozart, Op. 9: Variation 2
15. Variations On A Theme By Mozart, Op. 9: Variation 3
16. Variations On A Theme By Mozart, Op. 9: Variation 4
17. Variations On A Theme By Mozart, Op. 9: Variation 5
18. Piano Sonata In D Major: Adagio
Piano Sonatas and Divertimiento arranged for flute and guitar.
Manuel Barrueco, guitar & Ransom Wilson, flute
The King's Singers and Friends Manuel Barrueco, guitar; Sabine Mayer, clarinet; George Hörtnagel, double bass.
Valses by Johann Strauss II, including "On the Beautiful, Blue Danube."
Five Preludes and Choros by Villa-Lobos, Preludio y Danza by Orbón and Brouwer's Elogio de la danza, Canticum, and Danza Característica etc.
1. Prelude No. 1 In E Minor: Heitor Villa-Lobos
2. Prelude No. 2 In E Major: Heitor Villa-Lobos
3. Prelude No. 3 In A Minor: Heitor Villa-Lobos
4. Prelude No. 4 In E Minor: Heitor Villa-Lobos
5. Prelude No. 5 In D Major: Heitor Villa-Lobos
6. Choros No. 1 In E Minor: Heitor Villa-Lobos
7. Leo Brouwer - Danza caracteristica
8. Canticum: Leo Brouwer - Canticum 1 Eclosion
9. Canticum: Leo Brouwer - Canticum 2 Ditirambo
10. Leo Brouwer - Cancion de cuna (Berceuse)
11. Elogio de la Danza: Leo Brouwer - Elogio de la danza - I. Lento
12. Elogio de la Danza: Leo Brouwer - Elogio de la danza - II. Obstinato
13. Leo Brouwer - Ojos brujos (Les yeux sorciers)
14. Leo Brouwer - Guajira criolla
15. Preludio y Danza: Julian Orbon - Preludio y danza - I. Preludio
16. Preludio y Danza: Julian Orbon - Preludio y danza - II. Danza
"This disc, with Barrueco's Albéniz and Villa-Lobos discs, together demonstrate mastery of many different aspects of the guitar; a triptych of excellence that is surely without precedent."
Pieces from the Three Cornered Hat, Homenaje pour "Le tombeau de Claude Debussy" by Falla, Rodrigo's Invocation et Danse and 3 Piezas Españolas, and Ponce's Sonatina Meridional.
1. El sombrero de tres picos: 1. Night
2. El sombrero de tres picos: 2. The Miller's Dance
3. El sombrero de tres picos: 3. The Corregidor
4. El sombrero de tres picos: 4. Dance Of The Miller's Wife
5. Sonatina meridional: I. Campo
6. Sonatina meridional: II. Copla
7. Sonatina meridional: III. Fiesta (Allegro con brio)
8. Invocacion y danza - Homenaje a Manuel de Falla
9. Omaggio per chitarrra - Scritto per le Tombeau de Debussy
10. Tres Piezas Espanolas: 1. Fandango (Allegretto)
11. Tres Piezas Espanolas: 2. Passacaglia (Andante)
12. Tres Piezas Espanolas: 3. Zapateado (Allegro)
Barrueco's early recordings for the Vox label, a collection of 4 LPs.